UW Medicine Valley Medical Center ("VMC") is pleased to offer you access to your medical information via a web-based version of our computer systems called MyChart. To request an account, submit a MyChart Consent Form to your Provider's office, indicating you have read this "Terms and Conditions of Use."
The decision to place your medical and billing records online through MyChart is subject to the following legally binding terms and conditions. By accessing and using MyChart, you agree to be bound by the provisions of these notices, terms and conditions. VMC reserves the right to modify these terms and conditions at any time. Unless you cancel your election to use MyChart after notification of any modification to these Terms and Conditions of Use, you will be bound by such modifications. The Terms and Conditions of Use is the controlling document with respect to the mutual agreement between VMC and the user of MyChart. No other written or oral communication shall supersede or amend this document.
I understand that this authorization may cover disclosure of information relating to billing, alcohol or drug abuse, genetic testing, psychiatric care and/or confidential STD and HIV related information. In the event the medical information described below includes any of these types of information, I specifically authorize release of such information via MyChart. I also understand that I have the right to cancel this release of information through MyChart at any time.
1. Use of MyChart. I agree not to use MyChart in any way that would interfere with or disrupt the operation of MyChart or the networks or servers connected to the site in any manner; to impersonate any person or entity or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity; to upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that infringes the proprietary rights of any third party, or is otherwise unlawful or offensive; to harass or otherwise harm any other person or entity; or to engage in commercial activities of any kind. Any unauthorized use of MyChart will result in termination of all rights to use the site and may be subject to legal action.
2. Response to Electronic Communication. Emergency situations requiring immediate attention should not be submitted electronically. VMC will try to provide response to electronic inquiries. However, delays may occur based upon message volume, availability of staff, the complexity of the patient's condition, or technology disruptions. Therefore, VMC cannot guarantee that messages will be responded to, so you should allow at least three (3) business days for a response. We are only able to respond to patient communications based on the information provided by the patient. If there is insufficient information provided, we will be unable to provide reliable or accurate response.
3. Protection of Records. VMC affords the same degree of confidentiality to medical information stores on MyChart as is given to medical information stored by VMC in any other medium. VMC is committed to protecting the confidentiality of your medical information. We limit VMC employees' access and ability to enter or view your medical information based upon their role in your care. Firewalls, passwords, encryptions, and audit trails are further used to safeguard your information. VMC shall identify the records released and note the time and date of access each time a patient accessed MyChart.
VMC will undertake all commercially reasonable efforts to protect your records from improper unauthorized disclosure, technical failures and computer viruses, but cannot guarantee its ability to avoid damage to your records resulting from improper authorized disclosure, technical failure or computer virus.
User names and passwords provide two layers of authentication and are stored in an encrypted database that is isolated from the Internet. As a VMC MyChart user, your role in maintaining the security of your medical information is to change your password on a regular basis and to keep your MyChart ID name and password confidential.
4. Email Privacy. Patients who are users of MyChart should be aware that they will be notified via e-mail when there is new medical or billing information to be viewed on MyChart. This means that any person with access to a patient's e-mail will be able to see this notification. This could include members of your family or anyone else that can access to your e-mail account. Although no private medical information will be sent, the notification that new medical or billing information is available by accessing MyChart may be information that a patient would not want others to know. Thus, users should take this into account when providing an e-mail address or using MyChart. If you send us an e-mail communication, it may be shared with VMC staff that assists the physician in providing the patient's medical care. A patient's confidential medical or billing information on MyChart will be accessible only to appropriate staff.
5. Limited and Exclusive Commercial Rights. In consideration of receiving services, you grant VMC exclusive commercial right to store your medical records in electronic form for the duration of your relationship with VMC plus ten (10) years. VMC will not sell or disclose any information in your medical records other than pursuant to your authorization.
6. Minor Eligibility. An individual must be at least 16 years of age to request a personal MyChart account. Parents or guardians of a minor patient may request access to the minor child's MyChart account by following terms outlined in Section 6 of this Terms and Conditions of Use. Minor patients between the ages of 13 and 15 (inclusive) will not be eligible to participate in the full spectrum of MyChart services. Under Washington State and Federal law, there are certain types of medical information that parents or guardians cannot view without consent of the minor patient. Due to these requirements, we cannot offer the full spectrum of services to parents of minor patients in the age category of 13-15 (inclusive). Consequently, when a minor patient reaches the age of 13, restrictions will be placed on MyChart access until he/she reaches age 16.
7. Medical Disclaimer. MyChart is not designed to, and does not, provide medical advice. All content, including text, graphics, images and information available on or through MyChart is for general information purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Never disregard professional medical advice, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on Mychart. Never rely on information on MyChart in place of seeking professional medical advice.
MyChart is not responsible or liable for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services, or product that you obtain through this site or from your physician who may access information or services through this site. You are encouraged to confer with your doctor with regard to information contained on or through MyChart.
8. Assumption of Risk. I agree that my use of MyChart is entirely at my own risk.
VMC will undertake all commercially reasonable efforts to secure your electronic health records.
Nevertheless, without limiting any of the foregoing, everything available through MyChart is
provided “as is” and “as available” without warranty of any kind either, expressed or implied,
as to the accuracy, completeness, reliability, or timeliness of the information. VMC Does not
warranty of any kind, either express or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness, reliability,
or timeliness of the information. VMC does not guarantee that any services provided through
MyChart will be uninterrupted or error free. Nor does MyChart warranty that its services will
be free computer virus strains.
9. Limitation of Liability. Neither VMC or its employees or agents will in any event be liable for any costs, damages or expenses, including, without limitation, incidental and consequential damages, lost profits or income, for any reason resulting from the use or inability to use MyChart. VMC will undertake all commercially reasonable efforts to ensure that the materials on MyChart are accurate and reflect the materials provided to by MyChart by me or my designee. VMC, and its affiliated entities and each representative organization’s directors, managers, officers and employees hereby disclaim any liability to use you for the use of MyChart services available through MyChart and for any claims relating to allegations of personal injury, wrongful death, loss of use, loss of profits, interruption of service or loss of data (the “claims”) whether it any action in warranty, contract, tort (including but not limited to negligence or fundamental breach) or otherwise arising out of or in any way connected with the use of, or the inability to use, MyChart or any material or information contained in or accessed through MyChart.
In no event shall VMC, any of its managers, employees, or other representatives be liable for any special, punitive, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages or damages of any kind.
Any claims arising in connection with the use of MyChart must be brought in within one (1) year of the date of the event giving rise to such action.
When using MyChart, information will be transmitted over a medium that is beyond of the control and jurisdiction of VMC. Accordingly, VMC assumes no liability for or relating to the delay, failure, interruption, or corruption of any data of other information transmitted in connection with use of MyChart.
10. Indemnification. I hereby release and forever waive any and all claims I may have and agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless VMC, its officers, directors, employees, agents, information providers and suppliers from and against all losses, expenses, damages and costs, including reasonable attorney’s fees, resulting from any violation of this agreement or any activity related to my use of the website and any account I might have (including infringement of third parties’ worldwide intellectual property rights, misappropriation of trade secrets or other proprietary rights or negligent or wrongful conduct) by me or any other person accessing MyChart.
11. Proxy Access. Individuals age 18 or older may request proxy access to another individual's MyChart account by completing the Proxy Access portion of the MyChart Consent Form and submitting it to VMC. Such access will only be granted to parties with parental rights, legal guardianship, or two consenting adults, over the MyChart account holder and only to the extent that the party requesting access can demonstrate the legal right to account holder's medical information, or to the extent granted by the account holder. A MyChart account will be activated for both the proxy and the account holder. If the proxy's legal relationship with the account holder changes, the proxy must inform VMC immediately by calling Valley Medical Member Services 425-228-3440, or sending written notice to Valley Medical Center, ATTN: MyChart, 400 S. 43rd Street Renton, WA 98055. VMC reserves the right to revoke proxy access at any time for any reason.
If accessing someone else's MyChart information, I agree to comply with the following requirement: There is the possibility that the information disclosed to you via MyChart may include disclosure of information relating to billing, alcohol or drug abuse, genetic testing, psychiatric care and/or confidential STD and HIV related information protected by state law. State law prohibits you from making any further disclosure of STD and HIV information without the specific written consent of the person to whom it pertains, or as otherwise permitted by law. Any unauthorized further disclosure in violation of state law may result in a fine or jail sentence or both. A general authorization for the disclosure of medical or other information is NOT sufficient authorization for further disclosure.
12. Third Party Communications. VMC is not responsible and will not be held liable for any third party content on MyChart or any third-party content, products or services available on another website through a link from MyChart. Links to third-party sites are for your convenience only, and their inclusion on Electronic Health Records does not imply any endorsement, guarantee, warranty or representation by VMC.
13. Use of MyChart. I agree not to use MyChart in any way that would interfere with or disrupt the operation of MyChart or the networks or servers connected to the site in any manner; to impersonate any person or entity or otherwise misrepresent my affiliation with any person or entity; to upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that infringes the proprietary rights of any third party, or is otherwise unlawful or offensive; to harass or otherwise harm any other person or entity; or to engage in commercial activities of any kind. Any unauthorized use of MyChart will result in termination of all rights to use the site and may be subject to legal action.
14. Severability. If any provision of the Terms and Conditions of Use is invalid or unenforceable, the Agreement will be construed as if such invalid or unenforceable provision was not included and the remainder of the Agreement shall be enforced as written.
15. Entire Agreement. This Terms and Conditions of Use is the entire agreement between me and VMC, and supersedes any and all and written communications, understandings or agreements relating to the subject matter hereof.
16. Governing Law and Choice of Forum. Any lawsuit or alternate dispute resolution must occur in King County in the State of Washington. If a party wishes to initiate litigation based on this Terms a nd Conditions of Use, it must abide by the laws governing that jurisdiction.
17. Costs and Attorney Fees. Should any suit, action or arbitration be commenced in connection with the Terms and Conditions of Use, the prevailing party in such suit or action shall be entitled to recover its costs and disbursements, together with such investigation, expert witness and attorneys' fees incurred in connection with such action as the court or arbitrator may adjudge reasonable.